Sunday, October 7, 2007

City Girl

Most of you know already how much I love the city. I love that there is always something going on. I love that I can satisfy almost every interest I have within the city limits. I love the diversity, that being out of the 'norm' is acceptable. I love hearing people speak in different languages. I love the convenience of public transportation. I love being able to people watch from my window. I love the variety of food that I can sample.... I could go on and on...

But there are some things I definitely don't like about the city. Here are some experiences I've had lately that remind me of this:

-Apparently October is a bad month for rats in this area. The other night when my friend dropped me off in front of my apartment, I stepped out of the car right onto a big squashed rat. Yuk.
-Sometimes after finding a seat on a train, I can smell unpleasant odors from the person who sat there before me.
-There are these guys that live across the street who sing together really LOUD at about 11:00pm. Seriously?
-The kids who have negligent parents play on the street and scream all the time. All the time.
-There are always sirens. But then again I do live within blocks of 2 hospitals, a fire station, and a police station. Actually, I think that means I'm pretty safe.
-The sewer is always beneath you carrying the waste of the thousands who reside here. Sometimes you can smell wifts of it coming up through the ground. The other day when sitting at a restaurant, it was coming through the window. Talk about losing your appetite!

But as I learned this summer, one has adaptive ego functioning if they are able to hold the good with the bad. And those things I mentioned before make the whole experience worth it for me anyway...

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Do you remember this? What if your bones could melt? What if you drank something hot and your bones could melt?.....your blog just made me think of a little girl I once knew.

Andrea said...

Wow, that's pretty gross. I don't like squished rats or smelling poopie while I eat. I do like lots of food places though. I am Tempelton's daughter:).

Ken Tennyson said...

My dream is a small farm surrounded my city! Come on, is that too much to ask!!!

Anonymous said...

I prefer the country to live in. Fresh morning air, Blue sky, tall pines, snow capped mountains, crystal clear rapid rivers,horses grazing in a green pasture,Clear starlit nights,and sunsets worth painting.Sounds alot like Idaho-:).

I do love to go to the city for a night on the town,an excellant meal with my family(daughter eating ethnic foods) and maybe a movie and then get me back home:).
I love you Tara!!!
Dad